Say what? Another requirement for Indiana background checks? Indiana Senate Enrolled Act 590 ( IC 22-5-1.7) is effective July 1, 2011 and requires the following to participate in E-Verify:
- All state agencies
- Employers who have “public contracts for services”
- With a state agency; or
- Receive grants exceeding $1000 from a state agency
This applies to all employees hired AFTER June 30, 2011 or grants entered into or renewed after June 30, 2011.
Step 1 is to determine if this applies to you. Pretty straightforward if you are a state employer or a state contractor. What about Indiana school corporations?
IASBO has declared that the law DOES apply to Indiana School Corporations as they are designated as “political subdivisions” under IC 36-1-2-13.
Step 2 is to understand what E-Verify means. To put it simply E-Verify is a federal program that determines an employee’s legal right to work in the U.S.
Step 3 is understanding the penalties for non-compliance:
- State can sue employers who do not use E-Verify to recover unemployment insurance benefits paid to workers on or after 07/01/2011 if the employer knew the employee was not eligible to work in the U.S.
- Will not enter into or renew contracts with signed affidavit declaring participating in E-Verify.
- Employers are allowed 30 days to remedy the violation.
- After 30 days, a violation will result in termination of contract and possible damages (if assigning contract leads to higher costs).
Step 4 is compliance. The federal government site is very time consuming and labor intensive.
So, Safe Hiring Solutions has created an integration that allows employers to file I-9’s electronically and conduct an E-Verify search. Contact us today for more information on E-Verify and Indiana background checks.