My wife has a coupon for everything. Day after day during the Christmas Season, I had to feign a passing interest in the discounted price of every single item she bought for the kids or family. “The shirt was 25% off and then I had this coupon for another 10% off…” Now, don’t get me wrong. I am all about a bargain. But who isn’t?
The internet has turned all of us into little Bargain Betty’s. We can research and find the lowest cost on everything. I also think that it has turned almost everything into a commodity.
However, there are things that simply cannot be commoditized. I would never search for a babysitter for my kids by the cheapest price. I certainly would not search for the cheapest cardiac surgeon if I was having heart problems.
And there are things at the grocery store that I simply have to have, even if they are a little more expensive. Why? Because they are better.
The same is true with volunteer background checks. You can easily find very cheap pricing online.
The volunteer background screening market is the Wild West 2.0. There are no standards of care that define a background check and few laws or regulations that require quality criminal record checks. The screening industry has fed on the something is better than nothing mentality.
There are 3 things you must understand about volunteer background checks:
- There is no such thing as a $10 (or less) background check. Sorry, but anything offered for $10 is a screening solution not a screening program.
- There is no such thing as an instant background check. There is no way to do a criminal background check instantly.
- A background screening program requires multiple screening solutions. No database, including the FBI’s NCIC, is complete enough to be a stand-alone screening program. All quality background screening programs require the use of databases, county level criminal searches, federal criminal and/ or state repository searches. None of them are effective individually.
The first choice you must make is:
- I want the cheapest volunteer background available; or
- I am committed to the safety and security of our children, staff and/or people we serve.
If you are looking for the cheapest volunteer background checks, then you will have no problem finding a provider. The background screening industry has historically prostituted low quality background checks to satisfy the markets desire for cheap and instant.
However, if you are an exceptional organization that is committed to safety and security, then we would love to partner with you.